Rahinnane Castle, in the parish of Ventry, was the
residence of the Knight of Kerry, who belonged to the
Geraldine family. The castle was built on the site of an old
ringfort. The ringfort was built up and a second added with
walls of 6 metres (20 feet), giving the appearance that there
may have been a moat, although there never was one. Rahinnane
Castle still has its very tiny, narrow, stone stairs, from the
first to second floors, which can be (carefully!) climbed.
Gallarus Castle was occupied by a branch of the
Geraldines who were kinsfolk to the knights of Kerry. Of the
three castles, Gallarus is in the best condition and retains
its vaulted roof.
Minard Castle is situated on a piece of land
stretching out into the sea in the parish of Minard,
near Lispole. A considerable portion of the castle
remains. Walter Hussey, a Norman who settled in Dingle,
had a garrison there in 1641. It is interesting to
note that the beach near the castle is a natural storm
beach, the boulders being thrown up by the sea during
Ferriter's Castle is located west of
Ballyferriter overlooking Ferriter's Cove. This was the
birthplace of Piaras Ferriter, one of the four leading
Kerry poets in the Irish language. Only a very
small portion of the base of Ferriter's Castle remains.